Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Lemonhead Martini

lemonhead-martini-16

We’re heading into Summertime, so I thought I’d publish the recipe for Meg’s favorite refreshing martini.  I cobbled this together for her one day when she said she wanted a “lemondrop.”  She was pleasantly surprised with the outcome, and we began “beta-testing” it on our friends.  The results were universally positive, and typically the tasting ended with requests for the recipe.

We’ve been struggling for a name for it.  The recipe differs enough from a lemondrop that I think it needs its own name.  The x-factor is the limoncello, so I was thinking “cellodrop” for a while…  Though, the flavor mostly reminds me of a Lemonhead, so I’ve settled on that for now.

Without further ado, I give you the recipe.  I should warn you though – Meg is often disappointed now with restaurant lemondrop martinis.

lemonhead-martini-01

2 parts FRESH lemon juice

~1 Tbsp sugar

1 part orange liquor – there isn’t really any discernable difference here; Cointreau, Grand Marnier, triple sec, blue Curacao (Meg prefers the blue-green result from using the latter).

1 part limoncello – We’ve tried Caravella and Pallini.  Meg prefers the Caravella due to the higher alcohol content.  It’s a little more alcohol-y, but Meg says when she’s drinking, she wants to know… I prefer Pallini – it creates such a smooth drink, you could almost mistake it for straight lemonade.

1 part vodka

 

lemonhead-martini-02

“ReaLemon” is not an adequate substitute!  If you don’t have fresh lemon juice, don’t bother.  I’m not saying that to be snobby, I just don’t want you to waste your alcohol…

lemonhead-martini-03 Rolling your lemons before slicing will loosen up the juices (I guess…)

 

 

 

 

 

 

lemonhead-martini-04

Cut along the equator for best results.

 

 

 

 

 

lemonhead-martini-05

First things first – rim the martini glass with the cut side of the lemon.  The lemon juice will cause the sugar to stick better than simply using water.

 

 

 

 

 

 

lemonhead-martini-06

Invert the glass and dip into sugar; amount of coverage is up to your preference.  It’s important to do this up front so we can get the martini glass chilling in the freezer.

 

 

 

 

 

 

lemonhead-martini-08lemonhead-martini-07Proceed to juice your lemons.  We prefer this style of juicer.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

lemonhead-martini-09

 

 

Pour the lemon juice into the shaker.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

lemonhead-martini-10Follow that with the sugar.  Superfine will make things easier; simple syrup better still.  But plain old granules will suffice and it commonly what we use.

 

 

 

 

lemonhead-martini-11

Give that a good shake to dissolve the sugar into the lemon juice.  Next, add your ice – about 3/4 full on your shaker.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Next, add your liquors and spirits.  I typically go from more viscous to less, i.e. orange-to-limoncello-to-vodka.  I feel like this leaves less remaining in the measurer.

lemonhead-martini-13lemonhead-martini-14

lemonhead-martini-12

lemonhead-martini-15

 

Give it about 40 good shakes.  More or less could be fine… I’m not sure.  Someone once told me 40 was a good general purpose number, and I’ve followed that blindly.  Pour into your frosty glass.

 

 

lemonhead-martini-16Garnish with a lemon twist if you’re feelin’ fancy.

 

 

 

 

Well, I hope that wasn’t too complicated – Enjoy!

1 comment:

Meg said...

I like how you made all of the pictures smaller so your hands were less noticeable.