Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Sitting in Silence

colorized social sciences

[This is a re-post from a blog entry I wrote when I still logged into MySpace.  Original date: March 7, 2007.]

Today, at 12:54PM, I went to lunch -- Tony's Pizza.  It's become my ritual.  Everyday.  Ever--single--day.  I'm not complaining; it's good food at a good price, although, I'm not too sure it's good on my health.  With that in mind, I decided to order only one slice rather than the usual two.  As I walked to the counter, an acquaintance passed me by on his way outside to sit and wait for his food.

Awkward glance.  Raised eyebrows, if to say "hey".  I think it was Gina Fiore's boyfriend... I think his name was Cam.  I can't be certain.  He sat outside, I sat in-- in uncomfortable silence.  His order came up first -- he grabbed his pizza; I averted my eyes, pretending to be interested in the texture on the napkin that lay in front of me on the table.  Nothing said. 

Regret…

Last week ago, I encountered a similar situation.  Another acquaintance.  The same restaurant.  She didn't see me, but I saw her; she was coming from the Sesame Inn.  In the interest of avoiding the awkward moment, I sat in silence. 

Regret…

I finished my slice, and checked the clock -- 1:26PM.  "Hmm... 30 minutes more."  I went back to work early.  At Borchard and the 101, I rolled up on a shot at redemption.  A red light.  A black jeep.  Exposed sides-- rag top.  White curly hair everywhere.
I glanced over.  Then ahead.  I sat until I boiled.  Silence no more.  I rolled down my window...

"MR. C!"

He looked over as I shouted over the engine of the loud semi-trunk that turned left in front of us.

"I JUST WANTED TO SAY THAT YOU'RE THE BEST TEACHER THAT I'VE EVER HAD!  THANK mr-c-clickerYOU!"

Without missing a beat, he reached into his pocket and acknowledged me with his simple gesture coupled with a smile.

"click-click"

Atypically, the light turned green just at that moment, sparing us of the usual minute of uncomfortable silence after saying hi to someone at a stop light.  Ever more peculiar, the moment didn't confront us at the two subsequent red lights (He had pulled behind me).  I turned left into the parking lot as he zoomed passed me.

I really miss that guy.

I’m not too embarrassed to admit that I regret a lot of things that I did or didn’t do in high school.  Luckily, taking a course with Paul Coffman is not one of those things.

No comments: