Thursday, March 12, 2009

Evolutionary Thriller

webDNA

What if congenital disease is humanity’s way of pre-empting horrible events?

For example, someone gets cancer (of the non-behavior variety) because nature realizes that there’s something wrong with their DNA – a problem that will lead to sociopathic offspring, or some catastrophic event.  We think we’re trying to save peoples lives by curing these diseases, but we’re really bringing about the end of human existence.

There are issues with this, though.  For example, many congenital diseases don’t kill you before your able to reproduce… BUT that just means that nature hasn’t gotten good enough at killing us yet.

Ooh! What if embryonic stem cell therapies actually SPED UP this process somehow.  Wouldn’t that be ironic?!

It’s a terrible thought.  Let me be clear: I don’t feel this way.  I’m just saying, it might make for a good science fiction novel.

I’m not a very creative person.

UPDATE:  My boss (?) thinks this sounds like something Michael Crichton would write.  Well, he died last year.  Of cancer.  Coincidence?  I'd better get started on the mock-biography...

1 comment:

Edward said...

I think that this is an awesome idea. I used to do those gene splicing studies, like the one in your picture in my bio and micro bio classes. Such fun!!