Friday, March 13, 2009

Fear is a Motivator

I'm not sure if it's Bloody Mary, Poltergeist, or Pennywise (or a combination of all of them), but I have a really hard time with mirrors in the dark -- particularly bathroom mirrors.

This is embarrassing, but it's one of those childhood fears that crept into OCD and never really went away. If I wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, I have to turn a light on. It's not because I'm afraid of home invasion - it's 100% because of movies I shouldn't have seen so young.

The smallest light in our bathroom is on the far end of the bathroom - it's about a 12ft trip. My feet fall heavily and my pace (along with my heart-rate) quickens as I make this lengthy journey in the dark, singing a random song to myself, lest I inadvertently say "Bloody Mary" three times in my head and summon red eyes from the mirror. The same thing goes for the trip out when I'm through.

I also often peek behind myself to the shower stall - just to make sure Pennywise hasn't crept up from the sewers. I'm certain that this fear was the reason for my terrible hygiene as child - for the uninitiated, showers used to be a semi-annual event for me. I was a holiday Catholic, except it was showers, not church that I avoided for the rest of the year. Maybe I figured God would make sure nothing would happen if I was showering for Christmas and Easter.

Oh... and guilt too.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I totally used to be scared of bloody mary when i was a kid. Now I'm afraid of rapists and clowns. But I still cant watch scary movies.