Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Sundays with Grandma: Double Duty, Part II

Ang-31st-Birthday-031

At Ang’s (and my) request, we celebrated his 31st birthday at Grandma’s house.  Grandma let us help her make Ang’s favorites: baked spaghetti and flank steak with sautéed mushrooms.  When the time came for us to help out though, things didn’t go exactly as I had planned.

I had visited Grandma on Friday to discuss the details:  I’d arrive at her house on Saturday afternoon, and we’d make a trip to the grocery store for provisions.  On Sunday, I would arrive around noon to start the sauce.  Grandma said four hours would be enough time for the flavors to meld.  Excellent.

There’s something about Grandma’s sauce that they just don’t get right with the jarred stuff.  I’m not sure how to describe it – the closest explanation I can give is that the preserved sauce is over-spiced and far too sweet.  Oddly enough, those are the same criticism that I make toward store-bought pumpkin pies vs. Grandma Doris’.

I got a call from my Dad at around 8AM on Saturday.  While we were at Joe’s Opening Ceremony for Moorpark Little League, Uncle Sam had taken Grandma to the store to get the supplies.  I was a little disappointed, but no big deal; I was looking forward to the outing with Grandma, but I was more so excited to simply learn to make the sauce.

Ang-31st-Birthday-005

The next call came at about noon.  It was Dad again – Grandma had made the sauce without me.

Sunday arrived and in the first half of the day we went to Mass at the Mission to celebrate Grandma Doris’ 80th.  Afterward, I headed to Grandma’s to begin construction of the evening’s dinner.  Upon arrival, I discovered that a flank steak was already broiling and the mushrooms had been sautéed.  Luckily, there was a whole other steak that I could see cooked from beginning to end.  We boiled the spaghetti and began assembly of the baked pasta.

Grandma reluctantly poses for a picture.

Following Grandma’s example, we carefully layered each component into the waiting oven pan. Sauce, spaghetti (still very al dente – it continues cooking in the oven), (cooked) ground beef, a light sprinkle with grated Parmesan, Italian breadcrumbs; repeat 2x.

Ang-31st-Birthday-009Ang-31st-Birthday-015

The flank steaks were marinated overnight in soy sauce and garlic.  Stabbing it with a fork a few times help.  We stuck it under the broiler until it looked like it needed a flip.  It’s pretty straight-forward – at least when Mary’s not in the way, trying to warm herself by the oven.

Ang-31st-Birthday-016

Mel sliced the steak (against the grain and on the bias) and Mary and Lucila helped top them up with the mushrooms.

Ang-31st-Birthday-058Ang-31st-Birthday-065

Meanwhile, Joe and Jon kept busy with baseball in the backyard.  Jon helped Joe fine-tune his swing with proper form.

Ang-31st-Birthday-051

Before going to Grandma’s, I had stopped by BevMo! and picked up some beer for Ang.  I got something that I know he likes (Hoegaarden) and took a chance on “the true champagne of beers,” Chimay.  I mean, it’s made by Trappist Monks; it’s got to be good!

Ang-31st-Birthday-023

After a brief “toast to the home" in salute of Kings Stefan and Hubert, we gave it a try.  Suffice it to say, we were nonplussed.

Ang-31st-Birthday-093

Here’s a view of the dinner table:

{Video to be added shortly}

When we were making the spaghetti, we set aside one corner for Grandpa.  We covered it with extra Parmesan.  Grandpa was known to lop off chunks of Parmesan or Romano cheese and pop them into his mouth.  He dazzled us one day with a moment of self-realization: “You know, I think I’m part mouse,” he said with deadpan seriousness before cracking a slight smile.  We all passed around Grandpa’s piece and ate a little bit… Cheesy, I know, but that’s the way Grandpa would’ve wanted it. 

papa-140

We sang “Happy Birthday” in our usual over-the-top way, and Ang “blew out his candles” in his usual over-the-top way.    Actually, Moker snuck in and blew out most of them, but Ang had special plans for the last one.  He walked it over to the sink, dripped some wax in, and set the candle on top of it.  He left it there to burn itself out.  The cake was pineapple upside-down cake – Grandpa’s favorite.

Ang-31st-Birthday-102

There’s plenty more to talk about, but this post has become a little long-winded.  I need to find a way to better self-edit.  Enjoy the pictures/videos!

3 comments:

Molly said...

How fun! Love the blog. Can you post the recipe to the sauce?? It sounds amaaaazing. Hope you, Megan and the kids are doing great!!!

Tim said...

I wish I could... but like I said, she made it without me. I'm going to have to try again to see if I can get it out of her. She's been somewhat non-committal in the past, a la "oh, I don't know... it has a little of this and that." I'm not sure there even is a recipe!

Unknown said...

Why is it that the best family cooks always say that... "I don't really know how much of this or that there is. I just put what looks right." So frustrating when you are trying to get recipes out of people! Oh well. Its good to see your family is doing well.