Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Sundays with Grandma: Double Duty, Part I

grandma-doris-80th-49

This Sunday, we celebrated Grandma Doris’ 80th birthday.  10:30AM Mass at San Fernando Mission, followed by donuts at the park across the street.  Admittedly, we don’t see Grandma as much as we should, nor in that level of attendance, which made it that much more enjoyable.

The drive to Mission Hills is no mystery to me; I spent two years at Bishop Alemany High School (after the Earthquake, but when they were still “The Indians”).  So, I was prepared to rise early in order to make it on time.  In reality, we got to sleep in (we usually go to 7:30AM Mass at Holy Cross).  Still, getting both kids ready and out the door is no easy feat – I owe my wife.

We showed up around 10 o’clock and, after talking to Uncle Phil, found that Grandma hadn’t arrived yet.  To my surprise, she was driving in from Springville that very morning.

155 Miles – about 3 hours… And I thought we had to get up early…

As it happened, she was a little late to Mass.  I don’t think God will hold it against her.  I’m not so sure my sisters will get such a free pass.  Melanie fired off a “CLICK!” during a silent moment of Mass (my dramatic memory recalls the moment of Transubstantiation).  Mary made sure Dolce was in attendance.  This is Dolce:

grandma-doris-80th-44

Sophia’s interest was piqued when she spotted the tufts of orange fur protruding from Mary’s “pet purse.” “DOGGIE!” she exclaimed mid-Mass.  My fears of eternal damnation were allayed when Monsignor Weber joined us after Mass and asked if he could hold the pup.  {Link to Mel’s Blog when she finally gets around to developing her film.}

Across the street we went to Brand Park to partake of our donut feast.  Donuts are kind of a tradition for this side of the family. {Maybe an explanation will follow in a future post if I can find some good pictures.}

grandma-doris-80th-09grandma-doris-80th-21

We saw lots friends and family that we don’t see enough – so it made me both happy and sad.

grandma-doris-80th-35

See you soon with Part II.

No comments: